Hi there. I hope you’re doing well. Here’s another potpourri of various links for you to check out. Grab a coffee, sit back and find yourself some interesting food-for-thought.
I do the ‘link finding’ so you can enjoy the reading!
1. Faith. According to the late George Michael, it’s something you’ve gotta have. He was right. But what role does faith play in the Christian view of salvation? Does God ‘provide’ salvation and wait to see if anyone wants it? Is faith just a passive receiving of a free gift of God? Is the faith that God asks of us something we ‘do’? This link explores the fact that the Bible teaches that saving faith is in some sense a gift of God. Find it here.
2. Missiologist Mike Frost makes some great points about how many evangelical Christians are driven by fear and dislike of other views (and the people who hold them).
3. Here’s an interesting story about the mental health issues related to abortion.
4. Australian Presbyterian minister and theological lecturer John McClean argues here that we’re living in a “post-post Christian pagan” nation. What do you think?
5. Sexual orientation. We’re told you’re born with it. You’re ‘born that way’. Even if that’s true, does that mean you’re stuck with the orientation you believe you were born with? Recently a judge ruled that it was ‘irrational and illogical’ to think that sexual orientation is something that can never change. Check it here.
6. Christian apologist Akos Balogh responds to an advertisement on our national broadcaster’s children’s channel which promoted and celebrated the Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras.
That’s it. I hope your clicking is frequent and fruitful! 🙂
As I write this, a rainbow band adorns the top of my WordPress interface. It’s all about supporting Same-Sex marriage. That’s the topic of the hour here in Australia – especially since the national postal survey is being distributed right now. It’s all about giving everyone a say in whether marriage should be redefined.
At our church, we are determined to make sure that our message focuses on Jesus Christ. Our message is about the real redemption and inner transformation that comes when people give over control of their life to the King who died and was raised to life.
HE changes people. Not moral laws. Not legislation. Jesus. And whatever happens in Australia with marriage our message is, and will always be about presenting Jesus to everyone in word and deed. It’s not easy to do. But it is something that we’re compelled by love to do.
There is obviously much in the media about this whole SSM thing. Here are some of the more interesting posts I’ve seen in the past week or so. Feel free to click them. Or not.
(1) This link is a word from Christian minister and blogger, Stephen McAlpine, entitled “Progressive Christian: Where art thou?”
(2) Here’s an interesting and provoking post entitled “Biology is not a social construct.”
(3) For long and well-thought-out views about how the church should be approaching the whole topic of gay marriage, go to Pastor Nathan Campbell’s blog. Have a look around. You won’t be disappointed.
(4) Here are some thoughts on affirming heterosexual marriage, from the Sydney Anglicans.
(5) Why opposing same sex marriage isn’t like racism.
(6) A piece about a gay couple who oppose same-sex marriage.
(7) On an unrelated issue, here’s something by New Testament scholar Michael Bird on the necessity of gambling reforms in Australia.
Here’s a great discussion between three very different people on why God’s sexual norms (presented in the Bible) are good for people. Worth a watch . . .
In this video we meet Sam Allberry, an Anglican minister in the UK. He explains to their General Synod that he is a man who experiences same-sex attraction. But he also explains that, in being a follower of Jesus, he is not defined by his sexuality. Worth a look.
UPDATE: Sam spoke to RZIM (Ravi Zacharias International Ministries) about the above video. You can find his comments here.