As I write this, a rainbow band adorns the top of my WordPress interface. It’s all about supporting Same-Sex marriage. That’s the topic of the hour here in Australia – especially since the national postal survey is being distributed right now. It’s all about giving everyone a say in whether marriage should be redefined.
At our church, we are determined to make sure that our message focuses on Jesus Christ. Our message is about the real redemption and inner transformation that comes when people give over control of their life to the King who died and was raised to life.
HE changes people. Not moral laws. Not legislation. Jesus. And whatever happens in Australia with marriage our message is, and will always be about presenting Jesus to everyone in word and deed. It’s not easy to do. But it is something that we’re compelled by love to do.
There is obviously much in the media about this whole SSM thing. Here are some of the more interesting posts I’ve seen in the past week or so. Feel free to click them. Or not.
(1) This link is a word from Christian minister and blogger, Stephen McAlpine, entitled “Progressive Christian: Where art thou?”
(2) Here’s an interesting and provoking post entitled “Biology is not a social construct.”
(3) For long and well-thought-out views about how the church should be approaching the whole topic of gay marriage, go to Pastor Nathan Campbell’s blog. Have a look around. You won’t be disappointed.
(4) Here are some thoughts on affirming heterosexual marriage, from the Sydney Anglicans.
(5) Why opposing same sex marriage isn’t like racism.
(6) A piece about a gay couple who oppose same-sex marriage.
(7) On an unrelated issue, here’s something by New Testament scholar Michael Bird on the necessity of gambling reforms in Australia.